Museum Villa

Mustafa Kemal, who came to Ankara on 27 December 1919, first of all stayed at the Agricultural School and later at the Train Station Chief's Villa and used them both as a residence and as a place of work. Since these buildings were inadequate for the work and relaxation of Ata (Atatürk), a search was entered for a suitable residence. A vineyard house, located in the vineyard region at Çankaya, was given as a gift to Mustafa Kemal on 30 May 1921 by the Ankara Municipality with the objective of his living in a quieter and more peaceful environment.

The vineyard house, located among trees on a rather large terrace dominating Ankara to the north, was a small structure with a rectangular plan. On the ground floor there is a centralized entrance hall paved with stones, which has an octangular pool with water jet in the center and one each room on both sides.

In 1923, after Gazi Mustafa Kemal married Latife Hanım, the vineyard house was inadequate for the daily life of the family and activities were started to enlarge it. According to the project prepared by Architect Vedad (Tek) and which was implemented and completed in 1924, a new two-story section was added to the old vineyard house attached to the southern façade and extending throughout the entire building and finished with a half octagonal tower at the western end. The lower story of this addition has a dining room, kitchen and office. The upper story was organized as a bathroom, bedroom and study for Latife Hanım. The section used previously on this floor as a bedroom was transformed into an extensive library and study. Furthermore, a glass-walled entrance was made in front of the entrance on the northern façade on the ground floor. The room on the northeastern corner, which was organized as a Reception Room for Ambassadors, was enlarged with a projection in a half octagonal shape. The pool located in the hall paved with stones during the vineyard house period was removed and this place was organized as an entrance hall. During these activities, a new one-story service building to the east of the Villa was constructed, which contained a kitchen and laundry, and it was connected to the Villa with service stairs.

In 1926 repairs were made once again and a central heating facility was installed in the structure, with the objective of solving the static problems emerging in connection with these arrangements and of improving the conditions of comfort. In the same period, a new story was added above the laundry and kitchen, which was composed of 6 rooms and a bathroom for Ata's adopted children. In 1930, the towered section in the southwestern corner on the second story was reorganized as a study for Ata.

This house of Ata's, which was the witness of very important events during the War of Independence and the first years of the Republic, was where Mustafa Kemal Atatürk planned the founding of the Republic, including the reforms, was where he lived until he moved in 1932 to the Pink Presidential Villa, which was constructed right next to the old Villa. This structure was opened as a Museum-Villa in 1950. An extensive maintenance and repair activity was started here between 2002-2007 with the objective of putting a halt to the deterioration, which had accelerated in the structure and the furnishings. Together with these activities, the necessary arrangements were made for exhibiting the structure as a “home”, which reflects its natural condition in the period it was used, more than a museum. The restoration activities of the Atatürk Museum Villa were completed and it was once again opened to visitors on 19 April 2007.

Glass-walled Entrance and Entrance Hall: The glass-walled entrance at the entrance to the Villa was added by Vedad (Tek) in 1924. The entrance hall of the present-day, which is reached from the glass-walled entrance, was a large hall paved with stones in which there was an octagonal marble pool in the center during the vineyard house period. The pool was removed with the reorganizations made in 1924 and the hall paved with stones was transformed into its present-day condition.

Green Room: This room is to the right of the entrance and was used as the Reception Room for Ambassadors and Atatürk's study until the reorganization in 1924. It was transformed into a Reception Room for Guests in 1924. Due to the fact that the dominant color used in this transformation is green, it is called the “Green Room”. Many authors mention in their memoirs the tea parties given in this room by Latife Hanım.

Dining Room and Radio-Cigarette Room: It is located on the ground floor in the section added to the south of the vineyard house in 1924. Exactly opposite the entrance to the dining room is a large fireplace covered with glazed tiles and vaulted stained glass windows on both sides. The upper edges of the wooden paneling on the lower parts of the walls are completed with a molding of turquoise glazed tiles. The upper parts of the walls are painted plainly in a claret red color and the ceilings are adorned with geometric designs. The dining room was furnished with a large dining table, china cabinets and buffets in a form that are integrated with the architectural arrangement.

The tufted morocco leather armchair set, which are among the oldest furnishings in the Villa, are located on the ground floor of the octagonal tower, which opens to the dining room and was used as a radio and cigarette section.

The magnificent dining room, since it was the witness of the discussions and solutions at the long evening meals of the problems of the country, has also been known as the most important working place of Ata.

Reception Room for Ambassadors: This place, which was a small room during the vineyard house period, was later used as the Reception Room for Ambassadors after being enlarged with a half octangular planned mass by tearing down the northern wall in 1924.

In the room there is a mother-of-pearl inlaid writing desk given by the Egyptian Khedive Abbas Hilmi Pasha, a sofa, armchairs and a set composed of a large cupboard and a writing desk with different attributes that was used previously by Atatürk.

Library and Study: The library is one of the most magnificent places of the structure. The ceiling of the room is decorated with geometric and floral motifs and lighted with a large number of frosted light bulbs. The wooden vaulted stove niche on the western wall is decorated with turquoise colored glazed tiles and all of the walls are equipped with fixed book cabinets.

There are a large number of books on these shelves, which show how Gazi Mustafa Kemal formed his knowledge and culture infrastructure and which have the notes he took in his own handwriting in most of them.

The desk and armchair, where Atatürk wrote the “Grand Address”, are the most important furniture in this room.

The place passed into with the door to the south of the library is the study organized for Ata in 1930. This room was organized in the “art-deco” style, which has very unique attributes, and can be considered as the beginning of the modern architecture in Turkey. During this organization, the ceiling, which was decorated in the Ottoman style in 1924, was covered with white paint. The metal elements are yellow and the other architectural elements and the desk and other furniture become a united whole by using black and white colors. The furnishings are completed with a white bear hide spread on the floor.

Bedroom: The upper story of the part added to the south of the vineyard house in 1924 is above the dining room.

On the southern wall, there is a fireplace covered with glazed tiles in the center and one each large window on each side. Passage was provided to his study, which was arranged in 1930, with a door on the western wall of the room.

A light and peaceful environment of rest was provided with the large windows, pastel-colored walls and the ceiling decorated in an extremely clean and spare manner. The furniture used in the furnishing of the room is very superior, but clean, spare and unpretentious.